*Warning: This article may contain graphic images unsuitable for individuals under 18 years of age*
Newly updated October 12, 2016.
Breast Cancer. These two words make women AND men shudder in today’s day and age. It’s gotten to the point that most people know someone with breast cancer, and/or know someone who knows someone with breast cancer.
Cancer isn’t just one disease, but a number of diseases. There are four types of cancerous growths known as the following:
- sarcomas – affecting bones, muscles, and connective tissue
- leukemias – blood cancers
- carcinomas– affecting mucous membranes, skin, glands, and organs
- lymphomas – affecting the lymph system
Understanding these different types of cancer growths, know that there can definitely be more than one cancer in a location. And what do these 4 cancers have in common? Cells that become abnormal became de-sensitized to normal growth ‘guidelines’, then the damaged cells grow uncontrollably and may spread or move (metastasize) to other parts/areas of the body.
Here are the most recent 2016 U.S. Breast Cancer Statistics:
- About 1 in 8 U.S. women (about 12%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime.
- In 2016, an estimated 246,660 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in women in the U.S., along with 61,000 new cases of non-invasive (in situ, or ‘on site’) breast cancer.
- About 2,600 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in men in 2016. A man’s lifetime risk of breast cancer is about 1 in 1,000.
- Breast cancer incidence rates in the U.S. began decreasing in the year 2000, after increasing for the previous two decades. They dropped by 7% from 2002 to 2003 alone. One theory is that this decrease was partially due to the reduced use of hormone replacement therapy (HRT) by women after the results of a large study called the Women’s Health Initiative were published in 2002. These results suggested a connection between HRT and increased breast cancer risk.
- About 40,450 women in the U.S. are expected to die in 2016 from breast cancer, though death rates have been decreasing since 1989. Women under 50 have experienced larger decreases. These decreases are thought to be the result of treatment advances (in my opinion, an increase in natural herbal therapy treatments also), earlier detection through screening (women should choose, in my opinion, Thermography Scans as opposed to mammograms, which I will discuss in this article), and increased awareness.
- For women in the U.S., breast cancer death rates are higher than those for any other cancer, besides lung cancer.
- Besides skin cancer, breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among American women. In 2016, it’s estimated that just under 30% of newly diagnosed cancers in women will be breast cancers.
- In women under 45, breast cancer is more common in African-American women than white women. Overall, African-American women are more likely to die of breast cancer. For Asian, Hispanic, and Native-American women, the risk of developing and dying from breast cancer is lower.
- In 2016, there are more than 2.8 million women with a history of breast cancer in the U.S. This includes women currently being treated and women who have finished treatment (conventional medicine treatment).
- A woman’s risk of breast cancer nearly doubles if she has a first-degree relative (mother, sister, daughter) who has been diagnosed with breast cancer. Less than 15% of women who get breast cancer have a family member diagnosed with it.
- About 5-10% of breast cancers can be linked to gene mutations (abnormal changes) inherited from one’s mother or father. Mutations of the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes are the most common. On average, women with a BRCA1 mutation have a 55-65% lifetime risk of developing breast cancer. For women with a BRCA2 mutation, the risk is 45%. Breast cancer that is positive for the BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations tends to develop more often in younger women. An increased ovarian cancer risk is also associated with these genetic mutations. In men, BRCA2 mutations are associated with a lifetime breast cancer risk of about 6.8%; BRCA1 mutations are a less frequent cause of breast cancer in men.
- About 85% of breast cancers occur in women who have no family history of breast cancer. These occur due to genetic mutations that happen as a result of the aging process and life in general, rather than inherited mutations.
- The most significant risk factors for breast cancer are gender (being a woman) and age (growing older).
Know which women have one of the highest risks?… Overweight women are at higher risk. Why? If you’re more than 25% above your ideal weight, your risk rises because since there is a high level of fat cells in an overweight woman, it is important to note that fat cells are the storage depots for environmental estrogen (causing the estrogen dominance issue I so often talk about), pesticides, organ-chlorine residues and other chemical toxins. If you are about 30 years of age, Ladies, and are overweight, this increases the long-term risk of breast cancer, too.
Other risk factors in women include:
- those who had their period before age 12
- those who did not go through menopause until after 55
- those who did not have a child before 30
- those who did not carry pregnancy full term
- those who smoke
Women whose diet are rich in dairy foods and meats have higher risk. Most animal meats are injected with hormones today, and we already know what these hormones are capable of doing to our bodies.
Another fact? Women who eat whole natural soy beans, (and I don’t mean the soy-derived foods like soy meats, or what some call ‘fake food’, etc.) I mean those who eat the true whole natural soy beans (organic is best, of course), have lower levels of circulating estrogen! Yes, my friends!
Vegetarians/Vegans are less at risk of breast cancer because they do not consume injected hormonal meats!… I feel I should write this again… Vegetarians are less at risk of breast cancer because they do not consume hormone-injected meats! Next, birth control use, estrogen pesticides, and long term synthetic estrogen are also risk factors for breast cancer. Let’s fight Breast Cancer by having a FOCUS ON OPTIMUM HEALTH! Want to know one of the BEST keys to fighting breast cancer? REGULAR EXERCISE. It absolutely alters your body chemistry! So instead of large numbers of fat deposits which store excess estrogen, regular exercise will increase fat metabolism, which helps ‘out’ excess estrogen from the body.
Now, Ladies and Gentlemen, let us discuss Mammograms… Most people believe having mammograms is breast cancer prevention. And this is far from true. Early detection is absolutely important, yes, yet we MUST understand that a healthy lifestyle and disease prevention should be the primary goal.
Mammograms are known to damage breast tissue and these damaged tissues can become abnormal and cancerous! There is a reason why studies from the 1970’s and 80’s show that mammograms should not be done without suspected cause. The scientific community itself is debating whether death rates from breast cancer are reduced at all by mammograms in women under 50! Younger women’s breasts are dense, so mammograms only detect dangerous lesions in young women about 50% of the time. And did you know that mammograms can not help with distinguishing between slow growing tumors and aggressive ones? Want another shocker? One study by the National Cancer Institute showed that radiologist reports of mammograms were false positives 16% of the time!
It has been documented that women over 50 who have routine annual mammograms may receive UP TO 3 FALSE POSITIVES in their lifetimes! Can you just imagine the emotional imbalance and trauma this causes? Did you also know that even more research also shows mammograms miss cancer 15% of the time! This is so detrimental that by the time the tumor is found because it has reached a ‘detectable size’, it has probably been growing for 7-10 years or more… This then means it could have also spread.
What is the next option? DITI (Digital Infrared Thermal Imaging).
Also known as Thermography. Thermography does not expose you to radiation or damage breast tissue. It takes measurement of skin surface temperature to determine cancer risk, looks at heat patterns, and to detect tumor growth it looks for specific changes in the blood. Thermography can detect changes years before it shows up on a mammogram. Thermograms are very precise in that they involve a scan of not only the breast, but the under arms (where lymph nodes are located), the upper chest (known to be where the majority of cancers begin), and the entire chest. It can also show how other body organs are doing, determine if there are imbalances and what might be causing them. Taking things a step further, experts say it can also show if an organ or system is prone/susceptible to tumors before there are even signs on a CT scan or X-ray.
The FDA stated in 1982, that Thermography is a highly advanced health scanning technique that offers the benefits of breast cancer screening without the drawbacks of mammogram radiation. Close to over 19,000 articles worldwide have been written about its success. So why, oh why don’t most people choose Thermography instead of mammograms? Most people don’t know they have this option. Many times it is not offered. And it pains me to say, that in the over 21 years I have in practice, I have noticed it is hardly offered at all to minority women… Refuse to put your breasts in that extremely painful caveman-like device of a mammogram, Ladies! The high rate of false positives and false negatives, their link to fibroids, X-ray-harmed breast tissue, and damaged, bruised breast tissue, has women considering thermography which offers a non-invasive technique to keep them better informed of their breast health. Ask for a Thermography. Be adamant about it. You will be glad you did!
Now let’s get down to the nitty gritty, as they say… Do you know what signs should alert you to possible breast cancer, whether you are a man or woman? Here they are:
- Nipple discharge
- Scaly skin patches around the nipple
- Nipple retraction, inward nipple
- Breast lumps, especially firm lumps with poorly defined edges that don’t move when touched or don’t change during your cycle, often along with breast skin irritation or dimpling and change in breast texture or color (these are truly serious signs)
- enlargement of lymph nodes in the armpit
- Chronic swollen sores around the mouth, gums or jaws
- severe unexplained morning nausea
- hypothyroidism due to low iodine can be early warning signs to watch for
TIME TO MAKE CHANGES. REDUCE BREAST CANCER RISK. IF YOU’VE ALREADY BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH BREAST CANCER, IT IS TIME TO FINALLY FEED THE BODY WHAT IT NEEDS TO FIGHT ABNORMAL CELLS AND SHRINK TUMORS. REGAIN YOUR HEALTH! >Diet, Diet, Diet… I have heard time and again, “You mean I have to STOP eating steaks, chicken, turkey, and pork chops, Dr. Julissa? Really?” My answer: ABSOLUTELY. Or we cannot prevent or help the body heal itself. “How could this be”, you ask? Reducing animal fats in your diet alone cuts your breast cancer risk by 33%! Let’s have a better look into this…
Beef is very difficult to digest and will putrefy for days in the intestines keeping toxins in the body. Chicken and turkey, except organic, are riddled with injected hormones. And again, even organic chicken and turkey must be reduced to reduce risk simply because they are animal fats. I personally recommend women discontinue all meats altogether, organic or not, if they are dealing with breast challenges or have a genetic family history of breast challenges. And why stop eating pork to prevent risk of breast cancer or to help the heal from breast cancer?! Get ready! And no, I am not referring to the religious reasons why some choose not to eat pork. Although they have chosen well! First, naturopathic medicine teaches us ‘there is no such thing as cancer without a presence of parasites…’. And PORK is THE ONLY MEAT THAT RETAINS PARASITES. This means, there is NO degree of heat a person has available to cook pork meat that will kill the parasites that infest this meat. Also avoid blackened, barbecued meat. These have carcinogenic hydrocarbons. Fresh wild- caught fish, and even then one must be careful, eaten ONLY OCCASIONALLY, is preferred, and must be well cooked! In other words, no raw fish, sushi or sashimi. Parasite infestation must be kept to a minimum. And so eliminating fish would be a positive change as well. Remember, Vegetarians/Vegans are at the lowest risk of developing breast cancer.
Fried foods, sugary foods, junk foods, snack foods, alcoholic drinks high in sugar, and dairy foods; all these foods high in fats and trans fats should be avoided to reduce the risk of breast cancer. All in all, becoming a Vegetarian/Vegan is best for disease prevention in general.
What to eat to prevent breast cancer and increase healing? -Increase your intake of organic foods in general: such as organic fruits, organic vegetables, whole grains and natural soy beans. Pesticides, GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms) and other toxic substances sprayed onto non-organic foods should be avoided as much as possible.
-Tomatoes and watermelons improve breast health
-Broccoli should be eaten daily. It contains estrogen-absorbing properties; again organic broccoli is best. Dark green vegetables as a whole should be increased in the diet.
-And an important fact I must bring to your attention is the following: There is no breast health with a presence of constipation’. To prevent breast cancer one must be sure to have proper bowel elimination, meaning the normal 2-3 bowel movements per day we should all have to help prevent disease. Of course a poor diet is one contributing factor to constipation, but also in many cases, constipation is due to a dry colon and ‘bad’ eating. DRINK MORE WATER TO REDUCE BREAST CANCER RISK BY 79%!
Purchase purified water or consider a RO (Reverse Osmosis) water filtration system. And again, organic foods are the way to go to prevent disease in general. Lastly, and extremely important to remember is that, HERBS ARE FOOD AND HELP THE BODY TO HEAL ITSELF. And diet improvement is necessary and primary because up to 50-70% of cancer risk is determined by your diet.
Natural therapies consisting of herbs are forgotten when most people think of their diet. Poor nutrition will change body chemistry. The immune system cannot defend the body properly when biochemistry is altered. It cannot tell its own cells from invading toxic cells, and in confusion may attack everything or nothing. A proper diet consisting of the right foods I mentioned and the food our earth provides and that was placed to help us treat our ailments, is definitely the place to start.
Most people with breast cancer feel radiation and chemotherapy are the only options available. Yet, why use conventional therapies that ‘try’ to kill abnormal cells but also kill good healthy cells in the process?
Alternative healing options have proven worldwide to help countless people overcome this life-rattling disease every day!
The following healing protocol has been recommended to my patients and clients with breast cancer, breast cysts, breast fibroids, and fibrocystic/dense breasts, general abnormal cell and benign breast challenges, with immense continued success. It is used to detoxify carcinogens, discourage tumor growth, reduce tumors with natural anti-neoplastons (components of a biochemical defense system that controls cancer without destroying normal, healthy cells), inhibit cancer, increase natural killer cell activity, deter cancer, inhibit cancer cell reproduction, balance hormones, and to help the body fight cancer:
PAW PAW CELL REG
CHINESE NEGATIVE PACK – take 1 capsule of each formula daily
Your health is precious. ‘You should not have to be convinced to be well.
Decide To Be Well.’ TM ~Dr. Julissa
Call Dr. Julissa today at 212.923.6366 and make an appointment to discuss this and other health issues. She is available for in-office consultations, via phone, Skype, Tango, Face Time, and Facebook Messenger video consultations.